RE: catastrophes with Shock Level < 4

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 07:20:43 MST

Mitchell,

The independence you propose doesn't fully hold...

For instance, we are currently applying our partially-complete Novamente
system in the bioinformatics domain. As such I think we can make a VERY BIG
difference in the progress of biotechnology, including the antibiowarfare
area. Bioscience badly needs what advanced narrow AI and proto-AGI can
bring, as well as what true AGI can bring of course.

Working on this is not really incompatible with working on true AGI with a
Singularity focus.

Of course, our Singularity-ward progress would be a LOT faster if we were
working exclusively on Singularity-focused AI ... but the fact is that we
need to support our Singularity work financially, and in order to do so,
it's better to work on applications that are helpful to the human race and
its survival, than on other things...

-- Ben G