RE: Positive Transcension 2

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 09:08:23 MST

Philip,

The "democracy" question is an interesting one...

Let's suppose that some person creates a technology capable of launching a
Singularity, and needs to make decisions about how to use it or whether to
use it, etc. -- based on a careful consideration of various sorts of costs
and benefits, alternative risks to humanity, etc. etc.

I note that I am very far from being in this position, and I assume everyone
else in the world is also very far from being in this position. If a lot of
my guesses about AI design and teaching turn out right I may be in this
position one day... but for now this is a totally speculative conversation.

What decision process should they use?

Clearly some kind of process inbetween the extremes of:

a) the technologist and their cronies makes the decisions themselves

b) a majority vote of the human race is taken

would be appropriate. But I'm not sure in practice what kind of
"intermediate process" would work best.

Perhaps the appropriate process will become more apparent once the issue
becomes more relevant and less speculative...

-- Ben G