Re: What exactly is "panpsychism"?

From: Metaqualia (metaqualia@mynichi.com)
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 00:12:46 MST

Nothing to do with the paranormal.

As defined in Hans Moravec's Simulation, Consciousness, Experience (1998)

all interpretations of any physical process (including an absurdly simple
t=+1) which can be seen through an arbitrarily complex interpretation
algorithm to contain self-aware observers are by definition real to the
observers that they contain. The interpretation itself is not needed since
simulated observers do not need to be spied on in order to exist. The
process itself can disappear as the interpretation becomes very complex.

So everything that can exist, exists; furthermore every physical process
embodies all possible worlds.

mq

> Please give a concise definition of panpsychism. What I have seen on line
seems to hinge a bit much on "pyschist" phenomenon which are mainly defined
in terms of the "paranormal" or outside science. So I am confused. About
the best spin I can have on it is some loose notion that all things take
part in sentience at some level.