RE: Dispersing AIs throughout the universe

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 17:36:18 MST

Eliezer,

It might be significantly easier to engineer an AI with a 20% or 1% (say)
chance of being Friendly, than to engineer one with a 99.99% chance of being
Friendly. If this is the case, then the broad-physical-dispersal approach
that I suggested makes sense.

A better analogy than sending out monkeys and hoping they'll type
Shakespeare, is sending out a bunch of smart genetically engineered kids
hoping one will turn into something as remarkable as (though not identical
to) Shakespeare.

-- Ben G