Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Metaqualia (metaqualia@mynichi.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 00:18:03 MST

> I'm afraid the singularity won't happen because it isimpossible to
formulate
>Friendliness *and* to compute itwith reasonable resources *and* to enforce
it
>physically.
> Recursive self-improvement, however, is possible.

when I was reading this a big glass full of hot liquid fell over my pants
and slippers and floor and now it's all a huge mess!

Any support for your statements? What is to block self-improvement from
generating a singularity? Can't you have a singularity without friendliness?
Friendliness does not strike me as a computationally intensive task but it's
about basic design of a mind. Enforcing friendliness, this is not smart,
what you want is cooperation not enforcement.

mq