Re: Arrow of morality

From: Jef Allbright (jef@jefallbright.net)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 23:45:21 MST

Perry -

Thanks for the discussion (one of many you've got going.) For me it's the
start of a busy work week and I won't be able to give this the attention I'd
like.

In any case, I agree with your points below as I think you intended them.

I do suspect, however, that there's a meta-level of thinking about morality
that hasn't been properly addressed, and I'll try to organize and write out
my thoughts on this in a way that I hope will prevent getting bogged down in
the old arguments about absolute vs. subjective morality, and the confusion
between doing the "right" thing (values) and the "optimum" thing (utility
measured against goals) with maximal consistency between nested contexts.

- Jef