Re: An essay I just wrote on the Singularity.

From: Perry E. Metzger (perry@piermont.com)
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 18:18:22 MST

"Metaqualia" <metaqualia@mynichi.com> writes:
>> qualia in another sentient being is from the outside, or for that matter
>> even from the inside? I'd generally say a creatures tendency to actively
>
> I wish I knew!

Perhaps, then, your rule doesn't work nearly so well as an objective
measure of morality. A good Absolute Morality needs clear
falsifiability or it fails the Popperian test. When you can do the
experiment that tells us if it is moral or immoral to eat a cow let us
know. (Determining if the cow is sentient isn't sufficient -- I'm not
willing to grant that it is immoral to eat sentients until you do an
experiment that shows it.)

Perry
PS So, how many of you DO eat veal or foie gras? Or burgers?