SL4 CHAT: Wednesday, 6 August, 9 PM ET

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 23:43:03 MDT

SL4's monthly chat for August will be Wednesday, 6 August, at 9PM
Eastern Time.

This month we are trying something different. Rather than hoping
people find topics to discuss, we're supplying a suggested starter
topic. The chat is still free to move in any SL4-relevant direction,
but we hope this will encourage more interaction than the last few
monthly chats saw.

This month's suggested starter topic:

Public perception of AI

Suppose that in the near future the scientific community adopts the
opinion that AGI is possible. Furthermore, several well respected
scientists say that it will happen in our lifetimes. How will the lay
public react? Consider how the popular news media will report the news
and how this will shape public opinion. Also, what can we
Singularity-aware people do now and in the future to ensure the most
accurate reporting possible?

To participate through a standard IRC client, connect to "sl4.org" on a
standard IRC port (for example, 6667) and join channel #sl4:
        irc://sl4.org/sl4

To participate through Java applet, point your browser at:
        http://sl4.org/chat/

To clear up any confusion about timezones, go to
        http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java
to see the current time in Atlanta, GA.

(and sorry again about the misdirected post)

   Gordon Worley redbird@mac.com
SIAI Volunteer: http://www.intelligence.org/
            PGP: 0xBBD3B003