Re: Theodore Sturgeon/More than human

From: Joshua Hublar (Joshua.Hublar@publicis-usa.com)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2003 - 16:25:54 MDT

<Hartmut>
there remains the question: do we wan't to teach respect to our children?
Or
just: "we learned many things througout our lives and we can help you to
perform better than we did so ask and learn" ?
</Hartmut>

I'm not sure if respect can be taught.

I can tell you with conviction, however, that things that I have grown to
respect have usually caused me pain.
It is a hallmark of intuition and wisdom to be able to come to respect a
knowledge without having suffered pain in its absense. In my most
treasured experiences, I have met like-minded instructors whose method of
teaching their knowledge came with another dimension of imparting respect.

Pain is the surest teacher, though.

Fire Bad.
Red Berries make me sick.
Outlets bite.
Bees sting.

Its no wonder that humans take so long to come to maturity. There is so
much to try to learn about our environment and so many social dynamics. . .
jeez. You know, its a shit-fire out there.

Um. . . point.

point. . .

there has to be a point.

Oh yes. *cough*

"It puts the lotion on its skin or it gets the hose."