request for new word

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 13:31:09 MDT

Hi,

For a speculative futuristic article I'm writing (for a journal issue edited
by Francis Heylighen), I need a new word: a word to denote a mind that is
halfway between an individual mind and a society of minds.

Not a hive-mind, but rather a community of minds that exchange
thoughts/ideas directly rather than thru language, and hence derive a degree
of synergetic mutual intelligence much greater than that achievable in a
society of separate minds....

I'm reviewing two possible future examples of such minds

1) a community of Novamente AI engines

2) a community of human minds that are enhanced with neurochips or related
technologies and linked into a Net enabled with "Kazaa for
thought-complex-swapping"

[Of course, Singularity-wise, these possibilities are either
pre-Singularity, or else post-Singularity in a world shaped and guided by
superintelligent quasi-Vingean Powers. But the focus of this particular
article is not the Singularity, but rather the interesting possibility of
this intermediately individual/social frame of mind]

Any suggestions?

Eliezer suggested "Mindplex", which is better than my prior idea
"Multi-mind" ... [I wrote an unpublished novel called "Sexplex" once ;-) ]

Also, any reference to prior ("serious" or science-fictional) developments
of this theme? [Sturgeon's "More than Human" is an example, but the
mindplex in there is smaller-scale and more specially-structured than what
I'm thinking]

Thanks,
Ben G