RE: JOIN: Norm Wilson

From: Norm Wilson (web64486@programmar.com)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 09:57:46 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> Do you have tools suitable for interpreting functional
> languages -- for dealing with higher-order functions and
> related issues?

The latest release version of our product deals with the parsing aspects of the problem (i.e., the easy part); however, much of our recent work is aimed towards semantic interpretation. Along these lines, we?re building a framework that includes a reusable interpretive engine, symbol table, data type constraints, operator semantics, and primitives to support the construction of higher-level semantics. More significantly, we?re working towards a declarative approach for mapping grammar symbols onto this framework -- the objective being to bind a language to its underlying semantics with very little coding. While our efforts thus far have focused on procedural languages, much of this could be adapted to functional languages.

In short, it?s a work in progress. I think it?s progressed to the point where it would be useful in a real project. Do you have a particular language in mind? Feel free to reply directly if this thread is off-topic.

Norm Wilson
nwilson@programmar.com
www.programmar.com