Re: Singularity Institute - update

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@mac.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 19:29:54 MDT

On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 07:30 PM, Ben Goertzel wrote:

> I agree that a book on Eliezer's FAI and related ideas would be more
> useful than a book on rationality. A chapter or two on rationality,
> with a focus on rationally thinking about AI, FAI and the Singularity,
> would fit in nicely too.

I don't think it will make any sense if you don't understand
rationality first. Furthermore, I'm not sure anyone should be pursuing
AI development without first being rational, but I'm not in the best
position to make the judgments, nor do I have any power to pass out
sentences. Hence the number of people who would get anything out of a
book like this would be almost none. On the other hand, a book on
rationality might possibly help a lot of people come in line to help
out SIAI and other Singularity focused efforts (and keep people from
falling into crackpot efforts).

--
Gordon Worley                      "It requires a very unusual mind
http://www.rbisland.cx/               to undertake the analysis of