Re: Congressman Brad Sherman on intelligence

From: Perry E. Metzger (perry@piermont.com)
Date: Sat Apr 26 2003 - 18:02:10 MDT

"Tomaz Kristan" <me2icq@icqmail.com> writes:
> "We'll make the Singularity, long before people will
> notice, what is about to happen!"
>
> It's a credo of many on this list. But it will not
> happen. Unless the Singularity is a few years away only.
>
> I think, that's naive. And I hope, it's also true.

I'd say it is impossible to make more than very vague predictions on
any of this -- even "the singularity" itself has such a vague
definition (what does it mean to augment intelligence with machines?
does google count?) that it would be hard even after the fact to
pinpoint timing.

When did The Industrial Revolution Start, to the year, anyway? I think
the answer is "there is no meaningful answer"...

The question I am more interested in is this: will my "mental
descendants" (in the same sense that I'm a mental descendant of myself
when I was younger) still be around in a few centuries.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com