RE: Collapsarity

From: Paul Hughes (psiphius@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 09:51:25 MST

--- Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:

> Perhaps all this suffering is "necessary" in some
> sense that our pesky
> little human minds are not good at understanding...

I would go so far as to say that most suffering is
based on our own 'make wrongs" or negative contexts in
which we hold otherwise intrinsincly pleasurable
feelings. Someone might say, "but how can pain be
pleasurable?". After years of advanced yoga, I can
attest that severe pain can be transformed into
intense pleasure. The feeling itself never changes,
my context in which I experience that feeling does.
This process of discovering the intrinsically ecstatic
basis of my experience has been overwhelmingly joyous.

So the question is would it be more benign for my
long-term growth to discover this process on my own or
have it given to me? It would certainly be easier and
faster if Eli is right.

Paul