RE: Collapsarity

From: Gary Miller (garymiller@starband.net)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 08:00:45 MST

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

>>What I said is that suffering of the degree present in our world is
proof
>>enough that a Friendly AI is not present. If you wanted to
generalize,
>>perhaps, you could generalize to involuntary suffering, or involuntary

>>severe simple pointless suffering (a sufficient but not necessary
condition).

If a Friendly AI were to grant all of our desires from cradle to grave
the result would be that humanity would devolve into a race of greedy
hedonistic parasites without any motivation to do anything or to work
for anything for themselves.

Even millionaires children sometime suffer from this silver spoon
syndrome. The ones who don't succumb to the temptations of unlimited
money are motivated more by pride and wanting to make it on their own.
In a society where a Friendly AI would grant our every need (banana), it
would gradually become socially acceptable to revert to a parasite.

It is even not hard to find this mentality in some second or third
generation welfare families who have come to depend on social assistance
as a way of life. The fact that social assistance money can not hope to
satisfy all their wants and desire speaks even more to how addictive and
how demotivating such well-meaning social programs can become!

If a Friendly AI is out there and is concerned about our growth and
evolution, the fact that it is careful not to undermine that evolution
may speak to it's true level or intelligence!