Re: Coding from Scratch: Jaron Lanier

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 13:03:26 MST

Ben,

Supercompilation is very interesting, but I don't see how it would solve
even one, single bug. The bugs would still be there, they would just
execute faster.

On another point, Jaron fails to recognise that modern computer programs
(and modern computer hardware also) trade smoothly degrading
performance, as found in nature, for speed - speed and more speed. When
computers become so fast and cheap that speed is nolonger much of an
issue, then - and only then - will it make sense for industry migrate to
a 'simulation' or 'pattern recognition' paradigm for interfaces.
Currently the trade-off makes sense... "tomorrow" it may not be so
clear-cut.

Michael Roy Ames