Reality

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Dec 27 2002 - 19:45:49 MST

> I believe that a meta-reality needs to be defined, from which all
realities can
> be defined by. This will allow translations between co-realities, and the
> Universe will be seen (or perceived) as a whole again. If this happens,
I'm
> betting we're going to find aliens EVERYWHERE!

This reminds me of two things:

1) Mikhail Bakhtin's theory of "polyphonic reality" (introduced in his
analysis of Dostoevskian fiction). Polyphonic reality is a kind of reality
inbetween objective & subjective reality -- a reality composed of multiple
interpretations, all interpreting each other...

2) Some theories of quantum-electrodynamics in curved spacetime (one of the
many not quite successful approaches to grand unified physics). In these
theories, different observers in different reference frames may literally
perceive different realities: a particle may be existent in one observer's
reality, but nonexistent in another's. (This is a much stronger kind of
relativity than one finds in special or general relativity theory proper.)

The idea of "finding aliens everywhere" once we can perceive alternate
realities, is related to my idea that when minds (e.g. AI's) become
sufficiently intelligent, they may find a way to access domains of being
beyond our physical universe (or beyond the concept of "physical universe"
altogether).

I think there is some deep truth in this constellation of ideas, but it's a
domain that our language and our science are not well-equipped to deal with.
None of us are saying it quite right, yet..

I tried once to create a unified physics theory in which each particle is
viewed as the Feynman sum of "every possible subjective reality's view of
that particle." I never finished formulating the theory, and decided that
trying to create "real AI" was a more critical way for me to spend my
time...

-- Ben G