Re: Microsoft Creating Virtual Brain

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 01:42:45 MST

Gary Miller wrote:
> This could be just the start of a database capable of having enough
> information to model a human's life.
>
> http://sci.newsfactor.com/perl/story/20064.html
>
> I see people in the future keeping these up to date so that their
> children's, children could research and possibly interact with their
> ancestors out of curiosity in much the same way that people are
> fascinated by genealogy today.
>
> If a bot were designed to answer questions in natural language based on
> the contents of such a detailed database, it may not be much different
> that talking to the real person.
>
> FAI's could be designed to incorporate the data in such a database and
> take on the factual and personality characteristics of long dead family
> members!

I bet most of us are more than slightly aware of Microsoft FUD.
  I have seen MS make so many considerably less ambitious claims
over the years that were really nothing but hot air on
investigation. I will believe it when I see it from this outfit.

This particular projects is a partial rehash of David
Gelernter's LifeStream concept that was published many years ago.

- samantha