Re: Will FAI need simulated empathy to avoid sociopathic tendencies?

From: James Rogers (jamesr@best.com)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 17:18:52 MST

It isn't a lack of empathy that makes one a true sociopath. It is a
lack of empathy in addition to a lack of rationality that makes one a
sociopath. I can easily imagine an entity that is devoid of empathy
being a perfectly functional member of society as long as they are
rational. You might not even notice that they lack real empathy of any
sort.

I think a rational and intelligent member of society could fake empathy
with ease if they thought it was an efficient way to accomplish their
goals. Hell, that's what politicians do on a daily basis.

-James Rogers
 jamesr@best.com