Re: In defense of Friendliness

From: Christian L. (n95lundc@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 16:33:18 MDT

>From: Samantha Atkins <samantha@objectent.com>

><minor nit>"He" doesn't apply to an AI.

Hehe. The search for the optimal pronouns continues... ;-)

>>And given these kinds of manipulations it is a small step to consider a
>>scenario where everyone is "persuaded" to live in a blissed-out wire-head
>>type state. Is this Friendly? I really don't know. The people would be
>>happy at any rate...
>
>It is not at all friendly. It is also very unimaginative. The people would
>not be happy.

Of course they would be happy. Wireheading is pure happiness by definition.
The problem with wireheading is that you are left vulnerable to outside
threats, and that you are stuck in a "local optimum" of happiness. As for
unimaginative, I do not have the imagination of an SI. Think of the
wireheading example as a parable.

/Christian