RE: META: Sept. 11 and Singularity

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 19:32:26 MDT

> GK Uploaded wrote:
> >
> > I spent a good deal of the day yesterday -- 9/11 --
> > mulling over the hope that the Singularity will, among
> > other things, give Humans -- as Trans-Humans? -- the
> > ability to finally achieve Immortality (in a world where
> > we've "licked" Cancer, and Political Upheaval, World Hunger,
> > etc. etc...)
>
> That's it. That's my reply. I'm not going to say any of the things I
> want to say. Either you see it for yourself, or you don't.

Yes, I see what you were reacting to; and I wish you hadn't reacted as
strongly as you had.

Mapping a person's words into a model of their future words is not that
easy. Essentially, it requires mapping their words into a model of their
mind. This is a very hard "inverse problem." I require more data in order
to believe I have a reasonably good model of someone, than you do. Those 2
messages of GK did not give me enough data to form a plausibly confident
model of the guy's mind.... Either you're way better at mind-modeling based
on scanty data than I am, or you're just quicker to jump to conclusions in
this regard...

ben g