Re: Rationality and altered states of consciousness

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 23:36:35 MDT

Gordon Worley wrote:

>> They did not in any sense *fail*.
>

> I'm not saying that the sum of their efforts failed. I'm saying that
> their efforts to fundamentally reshape society to end death and
> destruction failed. Sure they helped inspire a few more people to be
> nice, but it only takes one not nice person to blow up the planet.

None of those mentioned had as their goal to end death and
destruction per se. They went for something more fundamental.

If you think you can ever ever get absolute safety consistent
with freedom to grow then I think you are more of a dreamer than I.

I am less worried about one "not nice person" blowing up the
planet than about the entire planet being tremendously "not
nice" out of fear of that one person. I am more concerned with
minimizing and healing all the causes and contributing factors
of "not nice" that we can.

- samantha