RE: JOIN: Christian Rovner

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 16:39:29 MDT

Eliezer wrote:
> Just to confirm: Yes, Christian Rovner is the second person to take on
> the Singularity as a full-time job, and he is SIAI's new Volunteer
> Coordinator.

I applaud Christian's decision to join SIAI fulltime. That's great news!

However, I kind of cringed when I read the wording of this message: "the
second person to take on the Singularity as a full-time job."

Actually, there are many people working toward the Singularity as a
"full-time job", even though most of us do NOT do our work under the
auspices of the particular organization called SIAI.

SIAI is a valuable thing, but it is not the sum total effort going toward
the Singularity today -- nor even an appreciable fraction thereof.

If Eliezer's AI approach succeeds in triggering the Singularity, then of
course SIAI will retrospectively be seen as having played an incomparably
important role in regard to the Singularity. But at present, this is just
a speculation, just one among many possible future worlds.

-- Ben G