Re[2]: Metarationality (was: JOIN: Alden Streeter)

From: Cliff Stabbert (cps46@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 05:22:03 MDT

Sunday, August 25, 2002, 3:43:40 AM, Gordon Worley wrote:

GW> On Saturday, August 24, 2002, at 08:50 PM, Ben Goertzel wrote:

BG> Are you saying that in a higher state of "truly rational"
BG> consciousness, one doesn't see the oasis as being closer than it
BG> really is? One's perceptual cortex is rewired to avoid this kind
BG> of incorrect, "irrational" judgment?

GW> I don't know, since wearing glasses I know that any judgments I make on
GW> distance are generally wrong. ;-)

GW> Seriously, though, essentially, yes. Rather than thinking the wrong
GW> thing first, you just think the right thing to begin with. Wow, what a
GW> simple idea. ;-)

Ah, but Ben Goertzel's implied point above (I think -- jump in here if
I read this wrong, Ben) is that we cannot simply rewire our perceptual
mechanisms, as they are too low-level.

Actually, I suspect the "perception" of distance is post-visual, so
your point about making a better judgment based on the visual evidence
may stand.

--
Cliff