RE: Re[2]: Educating an AI.

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Aug 06 2002 - 22:31:09 MDT

Also,

In the vein of "On Growth and Form", you must read "Evolution without
Selection" by A. Lima de Faria

I don't believe him, but I think he makes a lot of interesting points...

Also, "Laws of Form" by G. Spencer-Brown (a friend of Varela's) and a host
of associated articles by Louis Kauffmann (many of which are on his website,
at the U. of Illinois Chicago). Very deep theories of self-reference and
its implications... nifty though simple math, fascinating tho puzzling
philosophy...

You mention Hofstadter but not his buddy Daniel Dennett. A very mainstream
AI writer but if you don't know his stuff, most of his books are very good.

-- ben goertzel