Re: Educating an AI.

From: Evan Reese (evansreese@directvinternet.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 13:13:07 MDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dani Eder" <danielravennest@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Educating an AI.

> > > I think not many people appreciate the difficulty
> > of gathering the
> > > information necessary to get an AI to beyond human
> > intelligence. I've
> > > heard some say just hook it up to the internet and
> > others claim give it
> > > a lot of books to read.
>
> The number of books I've read in my entire lifetime
> is around 4,000, and I'm a fairly active reader.
> If you add 20 years worth of being online, it
> might be the equivalent of 10,000 books worth total.
> That isn't all that much content. Allowing for
> illustrations, we're talking about 100 Gbytes or
> so.
>
> The thing is, my total sensory input stream, from
> sight, sound, touch, etc. ran for 5 years (10^8
> seconds) at something like 10^8 bits/sec, or about
> 1,000 Tbytes, before I even started to learn how
> to read. So I don't think the problem for any
> nascent AI is providing enough reading material.
> I think the problem will be getting the AI to
> the point where it can start to read in the first
> place.

What I don't understand is how the AI will be able to learn much of anything
while being jailed. I know of no examples of intelligence emerging without
interaction with its external environment; but for fears of what might
result from an unfriendly AI, it seems that it will be forced to begin its
development in isolation.

Clearly, some here have given this question more thought than I have - I
would imagine - so how will this education be carried out while keeping the
AI in jail?