Re: Why do we seek to transcend ourselves?

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 14:59:28 MDT

On Thursday, July 25, 2002, at 01:01 PM, Michael Roy Ames wrote:

> I'm still not buying the idea that the quest for eternal life is
> genetically inspired. It really wouldn't matter what was driving the
> human manifestation before transcendance - whether genes or some other
> mechanism - a built-in termination date (death) is a very restrictive
> limitation on what a human unit can accomplish. Pushing past a
> built-in termination date does not seem to 'come from' genetics, except
> in the same way that everything we are 'comes from' genetics.

I agree that eternal life can be genetically independent, but you have
to give a reason (as you have) for what can be done with the extra
life. Otherwise there's no way to distinguish "I want my genes to live
forever" from "I can accomplish more good if I'm alive longer".

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose