Re: Educating an AI.

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 17:13:33 MDT

Samantha Atkins wrote:

> I consider much of our current IP law to be grossly Un-Friendly and a
> serious handicap to [even] human advancement.

Yikes! Please don't say "un-Friendly" when you mean "immoral".
Morality may be the intended referent of Friendliness, but one has
technical connotations that the other does not. I can very easily
visualize a Friendly AI growing up that didn't care at all about
copyright law. Whether copyright law itself is really and truly immoral
and would be perceived so by a Friendly *SI* is not the point; I can
easily see a Friendly AI going either way while growing up and I would
not take an AI's opinion one way or the other as evidence of
Friendliness or unFriendliness.