Re: Catholics and the Singularity

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 16:46:08 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> Of course, Ben, you're asking the question your way rather than my way.
>
> The question I would ask would run as follows:
>
> "Do you believe that an extremely intelligent mind - not necessarily a
> human mind - that was just trying to get at the truth, without reference
> to either faith on the one hand or prideful denial on the other, would
> be able to see that a lot of things asserted by Catholicism are true,
> and a lot of things asserted by other belief systems including atheism
> are false - enough that if the mind had to pick out which religion was
> most likely to be right, it could pick out Catholicism as the most
> likely candidate, regardless of whether the mind actually decided to
> become a practicing Catholic and so on? Assume that the intelligence
> can not only do extremely thorough scans for evidence in the external
> world but that it can also look into human minds."

I am losing track. Why on earth does it matter? The concern
should be for dedication to the truth. The truth doesn't have
this or that sectarian or philsophical brand on it, it is simply
true. Those that cling to some such brand have given up the
dedication to truth and instead are content to wave their
labeled something around claiming it is all there is and that it
is better than all other labeled somethings. BAH. Why should
our AGI or any intelligent being be overly worried or concerned
when encountering such?

- samantha