RE: How hard a Singularity?

From: Eugen Leitl (eugen@leitl.org)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 05:00:27 MDT

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, James Higgins wrote:

> A very irrational view (using any "power monopoly" as the "current"
> one). Also very much off topic. Please keep your political
> viewpoints to yourself when posting on SL4.

I've told you why I expect most people here not to listen. Self-selection
takes its toll. Thanks for succinctly demonstrating a mechanism for
rejection of arguments based on arbitrary (or, rather, the opposite of it:
very selective) classification of what constitutes a valid argument.

You'll observe that classification is a very useful mechanism. For
instance, classifying people as subhuman makes it for you much easier to
kill them, as vividly demonstrated throughout human history. As to
irrational, we are all that. However, I know that I'm irrational (can't
help, being a monkey), and factor that into evaluation of my reasoning.
You're obviously just as irrational, as demonstrated by my metaargument
(single detected flaw completely nukes the validity of the whole class of
reasoning), but have a blind spot on the fact. Now, does this make me
more, or less rational than you? Nevermind, look, there's a pretty
butterfly.

I don't think individual people here are hopeless, but I do think that the
forum as a whole is.