Re: Military Friendly AI

From: James Higgins (jameshiggins@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 13:54:43 MDT

At 02:05 PM 6/28/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, James Higgins wrote:
>
> > I would tend to worry very little if Ben was about to kick off a
> > Singularity attempt, but I would worry very much if you, Eliezer,
>
>The nature of the person is not relevant, the idea is intrinsically evil.
>It is a bit ironic that Eliezer, who doesn't trust humanity with taking
>care of themselves well enough to survive is attempting to create a fix
>that will precipitate exactly what he is trying to prevent from occuring.

This appears to state that you believe that kicking off The Singularity is
intrinsically evil. Is this a correct interpretation of your statement?

> > were. If you don't understand why I suggest you carefully re-read
> > many of your recent posts and have some trusted friends, who can be
> > completely honest with you, do the same. You do have, I assume,
>
>It's hopeless. He's got selective agnosia in seeing your own faults
>department.
>
> > trusted friends of this nature (although you very well may not since
> > your focusing so much energy on getting to the Singularity ASAP).
>
>Is anyone here interested to co-author a short paper on risks in
>Singularity AI, and suggested regulations?

Another things that is starting to appear hopeless is your belief in
regulation of the Singularity.

Discussing regulation of *any* up-and-coming technology is pointless. New
technologies move, adapt and change much too quickly for legislatures to
deal with. Only after a technology has matured (is substantially deployed)
can it be regulated. I have provided examples of my view. I have not seen
ANY information in support of your beliefs, however. Please provide us
with a number of concrete examples where effective regulations to govern a
technology were passed prior to the release or deployment of the
technology. Note that technologies created by government agencies would be
inappropriate and poor examples.

James Higgins