Re: Friendly Existential Wager

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 28 2002 - 13:44:34 MDT

Mark Walker wrote:

> E.Y. thinks Friendliness first, B. G. thinks AGI first. Who is right?
> Suppose we don't know. How should we act? Well either attempting to
> design for Friendliness before AGI will be effective in raising the
> probability of a good singularity or it will not.

Actually, my philosophy differs from Ben's in that I think that you need
substantially more advance knowledge, in general, to bring any kind of AI
characteristic into existence, including Friendliness. From Ben's
perspective, this makes me arrogant; from my perspective, Ben's reliance on
emergence is wishful thinking. I do think that understanding of Friendly AI
follows from understanding of AI, rather than the other way around. You
can't have Friendly AI without AI; you can't build moral thoughts unless you
know what thoughts are and how they work.