Re: How hard a Singularity?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 13:45:41 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> You can't imagine a superhuman AI could take 100 years to create a time
> machine?

100 subjective years? Maybe, just barely. 100 physical old-fashioned
objective years is beyond imagination.

I can imagine that an SI has to crawl to the galactic core at C in order to
travel back in time, thus taking a great deal *more* than 100 years, but 100
years of physical time to do anything that can be done in this solar system
- I can't buy it. That's ten billion years! What on heaven or Earth could
possibly take that long?

> Maybe creating a time machine is just plain impossible.... Can't you
> imagine that?

Sure.