Re: Fwd: Eclectic Pseudoplague

From: Martin Moore (lethe07@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 08:45:33 MDT

--- Aaron McBride <amcbride@jps.net> wrote:
> If this is true, then how do I defend myself from a
> nuclear bomb? We've
> had 50+ years of technology between the invention of
> nukes and I still
> don't have a Kill-o-Nuke. I'm afraid Mr. Joy may be
> right on this one,
> even if he's wrong about the solution. The future
> is unknown - there may
> be some weapons that have no defence.

Eliezer's hypothesis still stands in that equal rates
of technological advancement among aggressors tends to
minimize actual harm from the same. The nuke scenario
could serve as an almost perfect example of this, in
that ICBM parity defined the Cold War (emphasis on
'cold').

I do not believe that an SDI-type nuclear defense
shield can never be developed. How ridiculous that
this has become the mantra of the dirty-dems in DC. It
betrays a pathetic, not to mention insulting,
pessimism about our abilities. What would they have
said to their cult-hero, JFK, when he announced that
Americans would walk on the moon by the end of the
decade?

In any case, the problem lies on the demand side.
Should an ICBM threat from a "rogue" nation become a
reality, that shield would go up pretty quickly (or
the threat would be eliminated. Iraq?...)

-Martin