Re: Books on rationality... uh, Philosophy?

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 15:39:18 MDT

On Sunday, June 9, 2002, at 03:45 PM, Martin Moore wrote:

> If Philosophy is currently being defined as a search
> for "the meaning of life" and "Philosophy 101" is now
> taught in this vein, then I am behind the times and
> hopelessly off-topic. Though I suspect that, as Ben
> and Eliezer demonstrated, should Gordon continue his
> efforts to arrive at a "'How-to guide' for thinking
> more rationally", he may just find that philosophy
> stands squarely in his way. This is especially true if
> philosophy has remained a discipline which
> investigates logic, aesthetics, ethics, and
> epistemology. However, if the field is no longer
> concerned with analyzing the structure of reality and
> our knowledge of it using the rational approach of
> logical reasoning, I am no longer interested in the
> field myself!

I have little interest in getting into philosophical discussion in this
book. Outside of providing motivation to become rational (i.e. why
should you become rational rather than continue on the natural way for
humans), the focus really will be on the what and how rather than the
why.

Of course, I plan to step on plenty of philosophers' toes when
discussing the human brain, the human mind, how they are related, and
how humans think. ;-)

--
Gordon Worley                     `When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty
http://www.rbisland.cx/            said, `it means just what I choose