Consciousness.

From: Mike & Donna Deering (deering9@mchsi.com)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 12:40:55 MDT

I just had a thought! I should share this with someone. I know, I'll tell my friends. Wait a minute, I don't have any friends. Okay, I'll send it to the list.

Background: we are aware of visual perceptions because we have a visual sensory modality. Likewise with the other perceptions, hearing, touch...

Thought: we are aware of our thoughts because consciousness is a sensory modality, with an underlying neurological architechiture including filters, smoothing, feature detectors, concept identification, and feedback to the modality input (day dreaming).

I don't remember seeing this in any of the cognitive models I've read about. Either I'm woefully ignorant or I've had an original thought, or both. Not having an educational background in cognitive science I don't know which if either, or both, or neither, or whatever.

Mike.