RE: Funding Projects WAS RE: Finding for SIAI

From: ben goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 10:09:28 MDT

Justin,

Balancing one's efforts on fundraising with one's efforts on doing actual
work, is not an easy problem.

On the one hand, once one has substantial funding, one can get work done
faster

On the other hand, the more of a working system one can demonstrate, or the
more of a detailed design one can describe (with explanations of why it can
do what one claims), the easier fundraising becomes.

For this reason, everyone pursuing stuff like this balances their time
between the two pursuits, and the optimal balance is not clear, so personal
preference plays a big role each person's decision.

You mention VC and angel investor funding, but these are for business
propositions; for building an AGI, in a down market, there is no way to
get significant business funding. In the height of the Net bubble it was
possible, because business investors were thinking long-term. Now, the
plausible sources of funding for AGI are private philanthropists and
government grants, basically.

Of course, both in a business and in a nonprofit context, the primary
source of funding leads is *personal contacts*. I bet that, within the
social circles of everyone on this list, there are loads of possible
funding sources. If anyone feels the inspiration, do some brainstorming in
this regard and then contact me, Eliezer or Peter ;> Eliezer is only
interested in philanthropic donations or research grants, whereas Peter and
I are interested in both these things, and commercial investments. I am
not sure what Peter's business model is; currently, in addition to our
general AGI work, my team is focusing on bioinformatic data analysis, an
area that is not so hot in the VC community this year, but that I feel will
bounce back in the next 12-24 months (the biotech market generally being
cyclical).

-- Ben G