Re: Funding for SIAI

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 10:04:49 MDT

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Mike & Donna Deering wrote:

> P.S. Stephen Reed, glad to see new members in our age bracket. Do you remember slide rules? I used to have a nice english one with wheels instead of slides.

Doug Lenat is a year older. When I went to college in 1969, computers
were the rage, the new thing, and the brightest of the bright were drawn
to AI. Perhaps you can envision my pleasure to now attend Darpa project
meetings where I can converse with the authors of my treasured
textbooks and papers....

John Mccarthy (retiring)
Drew McDermott
Pat Hayes
Jim Hendler
Richard Fikes
Debora McGuiness
Tim Berners-Lee

There are greater numbers with each subsequent generation, but the passion
is there also with us, just muted/dampened by the stunning realization of
how much work it takes to make an AI. It is an honor, a privilege to
work among giants.

Regards,
-Steve

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org