STORY: X17 (was: Singularity fanfic)

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 17:02:55 MDT

Cole Kitchen wrote:

> Eliezer, what's your "X17 pastiche"? The only two pieces of your fiction I
> know about are your Singularity-as-text-adventure piece and your "Disciple"
> story (about nano-mages). If you've got others, you might consider posting
> them in a "Stories" directory on sysopmind.com. I suspect more than one SL4
> member would enjoy them.

Maybe one of these days...

Anyway, the X17 pastiche is (a) me making fun of E. E. "Doc" Smith's
_Lensman_ series, and by extension all the other technically adept fictional
"supergeniuses" who are at heart no smarter than the author; and (b) me
making a point about the difference between "super-smart" characteristics
that are easy for an author to depict (lightning calculator, eidetic memory,
whizz gadgetry, and so on) and the difficulty of really knowing what someone
slightly smarter than you would do in a given situation.

I'll post it shortly after fixing some of the more glaring errors.