Re: Design document authoring tool

From: Darin Sunley (dsunley@shaw.ca)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 00:47:17 MDT

Maybe I have a tendency to do things the hard way, but for something like
this I'd just start off writing sections and linking them to each other
using html.

Create each hierarchy as a separate html index document. Create each named
relation as a seperate html document that may or may not contain anything
other than a list of the sections it relates. [I'm thinking here of the way
relational databases implement named relations that require data germane to
the relationship but not to either of the related tables. It makes some
difference whether this relationship is one to one, one to many, or just
hierarchical sets.]

Tha advantage of this is you get to use whatever html editing tool you want
for word processing. One disadvantage is that this obviously doesn't address
the concerns about printing the sections as a single document. But, correct
me if I'm mistaken, don't you already have some python code for knitting
together sections of html into nice documents?

Darin Sunley, who learned a long time ago that two off the shelf tools held
together by a teeny amount of code can usually replace thousands of dollars
worth of specialized all-in-one tools.
dsunley@shaw.ca