Re: Fermi and LOGI

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 00:38:26 MDT

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>>It could, of course, also mean that *restraint* is a distinguishing
>>trait of minds intelligent enough to initiate galaxy-trotting
>>exploration. If so, Egan's Diaspora may actually have been correct in
>>

> We are at the threshold of initiating galaxy-trotting exploration. Do you
> consider us prone to restraint, as a species?

Very much so. The vast majority of human beings tend to settle
into ruts of whatever hasn't killed them so far versus exploring
or acting on the possibilities of something better or even
radically better but unknown. Even among the most adventurous
bits of this sort of inertia can often be seen. It is part of
our wiring that we have to learn to cope with.

- samantha