Re: Why bother (was Re: Introducing myself)

From: Carlo Wood (carlo@alinoe.com)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 08:11:48 MDT

Actually, apart from the singularity (which was a new idea to
me recently), I've always been convinced that humanity will
die unless we manage to get away from this planet and
colonize other planets. If not because there is a high risk
of putting ALL our genes (and everything we every accomplished)
on one planet together with atom bombs and polution, or because
soon we'll run out of materials, energy and destroy our environment
behond the point where we can survive, then because the sun
will burn up (or explode) in the end.

If you look at the way the whole industry has evolved till now
then it isn't reasonable to expect we will change anything until it
is too late (poisoned atmosphere, more humans then the earth
and feed and a civilisation that is fragile and will break
down totally when we don't even get MORE people, MORE pollution
and MORE raw materials; which is impossible at some point).

Whether you like it or not, the progress that humanity is
making (and is needed for the Singularity), like the computer
market (and needed research fundings) and internet is going
to fall down when America, or Europe or Japan etc turns into
an area like Libanon or Irak. Humanity is constantly on the
edge of Not Making It. Perhaps there will not be total self-
destruction, but surely we won't get another chance to colonize
other planets, or initiate the Singularity.

Intelligent people realize this.

Some react with depression.
Some react by starting to party and drink alcohol.
Some react by putting all their energy into initiating the Singularity.

Buy us some time Evan and use some Love and Understanding
in your life - that way the next World War might be delayed
a bit.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>