Re: Draft Paper: Santa's Workshop

From: Justin Corwin (thesweetestdream@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 19:56:30 MST

This reminds me a great deal of an in depth interview in OMNI some years
ago(obviously before omni went bellyup(obligitory sadness here).

A man who had the idea for self replicating macroscale robots, whose primary
product would be solar panels, with a chosen environment of a desert,
preferably the interior of a large one. (africa springs to mind).

The robots would use a chemical seperation process to obtain raw materials,
and utilyze the electricity from the solar panels at a net gain, until the
fraction surplus was sufficient, then the robotnetwork would broadcast it's
status, and the entire power output could be used as a marketable resource,
the only investments being design and fielding of the seed robots, and a
large open space (deserts being good for clear skies, hot days, and few
inhabitants.

the article went into some detail as to the processes inherent to building
general robots, and the design space required. a few years ago, i remembed
the article(having read it as a child) and realizing the massive import of
it, tried to find it. I've failed. Does anyone out there have an OMNI
archive? is there one somewhere? all online sources are dead and have no
text available. that I am aware of.

Sorry, a little offtopic, but I think the concept is important, and this
person may still be out there working on it.

Justin