Re: AI and survival instinct.

From: Carlo Wood (carlo@alinoe.com)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 05:46:54 MST

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 01:08:16AM -0500, Gordon Worley wrote:
> propagation. Humans who don't do this die out and their genes don't
> propagate, thus humans who lack this skill die out. Considering that,

What about homosexuality? It doesn't seem to 'die out', yet homosexuals
are not likely to propagate their genes.

No, I think that humans are "hardwired" to have sex, but only in ONE
way: having sex gives as a tremendous ammount of pleasure.

An AI doesn't necessarily need to have emotions as emotions are the
pre-rational (communication capable) feedback mechanism of our
decision making.

Hardwired:

sex --> pleasure
security --> happiness
failure --> depression
external opposition --> anger
danger --> fear

Those emotions, in turn, have a huge impact on how our brain
evaluates conditions (which is a learning process!). Feelings
of happiness and pleasure make our neurons set into a state
of "ok! do it again", depression burns into our neurons:
"never again I will do this again!" and anger stimulates us
to start to think about elimination of the external factor
that stops us from reaching our goal, killing someone else
is a logical way to do that (at least, it was when we were
still animals).

We don't need this feedback mechanism for AI. Except for
one thing: we could create a negative feedback for anything
that hurts humans. As a result, the AI would quickly learn
not to hurt humans and automatically try to prevent that
(although he'd still be capable to).

--
Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>