Re: Introducing myself

From: Nathan Russell (nrussell@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 22:09:03 MST

At 09:50 PM 4/1/2002 -0500, "Eliezer S. Yudkowsky" <sentience@pobox.com> wrote:

>Starting on real AI takes programmers working together in the same physical
>location, full time, and extended orientation sessions that would suck up
>tremendous time if I had to repeat them independently for each recruit.

I might point out that Linux was started by a full-time student who had met
essentially none of the folks he ended up working with. It's still the
case that the majority of the folks in kernel development are occupied
elsewhere full-time, and meet only possibly at infrequent conferences, etc.

Granted, AI is more complex than Linux, but how much so?

Nathan