Re: Uploading and sensory deprivation

From: Nathan Russell (nrussell@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 10:41:07 MST

At 06:28 PM 3/8/2002 +0100, Eugene Leitl wrote:
> > I suppose I'd become inhuman in a matter of time, but I don't know how
> > much time it would take. Understanding things more efficiently would
> > definately help, and I wonder how much time I would have for human
> > thought if I were constantly busy calculating, for example, the exact
> > hyperbolic tangent of the angles of every pair of blades of grass I
> > passed, and aware of doing so.
>
>Inhumanity is a wide field. You're describing something distinctly
>autistic.

Well, actually, I *am* diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, and had a
special-education monitor into the tenth grade.

Also, I got a perfect score on the math section of the SAT, for what it's
worth, so *maybe* I can relate to thinking directly in math at least
slightly more than some people can. That's not to say that I don't think
that being uploaded and directly linked with the equivalent of a math
coprocesser wouldn't help me do things that are now completely impossible,
or that I can *imagine* knowing intuitively how to play a perfect game of
chess, and being able to spend a second or two figuring out who would win
such a game!

Nathan