Re: New Revisions, New Home

From: Damien Broderick (d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 22:39:12 MST

At 08:14 PM 2/14/02 -0700, Mitch wrote:

>I introduced Eliezer as "Eliezer
>Yudkowsky" and referred to him subsequently as "Mr. Yudkowsky" in
>traditional journalistic style -- a style that I felt was appropriate for
>this type of document.

I'd have to disagree. The NYT *is* slightly 19th C; web sites are more
relaxed, even those that deal in the grandiose. :)

Academic discourse, which I think the web site somewhat mimics (at least in
trying for some measure of rigor), uses surnames. To a stray searcher after
truth, all those `Mr.' Yudkowskys will look disturbingly deferential. And I
note that despite your claim to be following NYT usage, you haven't
answered my explicit question why nobody else got the treatment.

I know, I know, it's an incredibly trivial point. But people will be
reading this stuff, and it's best to fine tune to minimize doubt and easy
jibes.

Baron Lord Damien Broderick, esq