Re: Telling the world

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 23:02:07 MST

Josh Yotty wrote:

> We should be careful a out how we spread this meme. Too little publicizing
> is unfair to humanity. Too much is suicidal. So how do we find the middle of
> the road? That is, how do we inform the public as much as possible without
> causing some freak that has been "told" by God/Allah/Yahweh to send his
> loyal followers to martyr themselves?

One good way to reduce the probability of such events is not to discuss
them in public. Private, yes. A problem doesn't go away when you stop
thinking about it. But in public, discussing violence generally makes
violence more likely to occur. That's the general reason. The other
reason is that religious fanatics do not think, strategically, in the same
way as Singularitarians, and we should avoid doing their thinking for
them.