Re: Telling the World (was Introducing Your's Truly)

From: Dan Clemmensen (dgc@cox.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 20:56:21 MST

Alden Jurling wrote:

> A lot of people die every year. And the chance of any ONE (like you or me) person dying also rises. In addition the chance of the species getting killed off in some other way rises. Alot can go wrong in ten years.
>
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:53:17 +0800
> "Deacon Kuhns" <deacon@teacher.com> wrote:
> long as we're all assured that we'll see it through to completion. So a ten year moratorium on AI research really shouldn't hamper us too much, now, should it?

Think about the ongoing ecological destruction due to increased
population and wealth in industrializing countries. The sooner we get
to the singularity, the sooner we solve these problems and quit
wrecking the planet. Note that the real situation is not as bad as
many eco-fanatics believe, but will still needlessly lose a lot of
species in ten years. That represents information that is irretrievably
lost.