Re: Singularity Fun Theory (was: Ethical basics)

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 19:38:07 MST

Alan Grimes wrote:

> John Smart wrote:
> > Singularity Fun Theory! My hat is off to you Eliezer. You never cease
> > to amaze me with your intellectual flexibility. I think we need a
> > theory for that next... :)
>
> Writing important sounding papers gives Eleizer an ego rush. Couple that
> with the inherant appeal of the subject and you see why the highly
> unscientific 'paper' was written.
>
> I fully expect to be kicked from this list for this, my first post,
> because it might hurt eliezer's ego. Come chat with me at my own very
> liberal list dedicated to research in transhumanizing technologies at
> "thresearch" -- A yahoogroup.

I'll kick you as soon as it gets uninteresting. The part where you came
out of nowhere to insult me is surprising and conveys new information to
the readers, so it passes. Keep it up without adding any new information
and you will get kicked, though - for being insufficiently interesting, of
course.

Also, CORRECT YOUR SPELLING. If you think you don't need to proofread
your posts because kicking you immediately might lead people to mistakenly
think I was violating Crocker's Rules, you are sorely mistaken. This list
has over 150 current subscribers, so take a minute to save 150 people a
few seconds. (Treating this standard admonition as a personal attack is
an entirely predictable response and will not count as new information.)